Saturday, September 11, 2010

Say My Name, Say My Name

"Kenneth"

"No - Keletso"

"Kenetsu"

"No - Keletso"

"Calypso"

"No - Keletso"

"Can't I just call you 'K'"

"No - Keletso"

At this point, I usually zip out my cellphone (or newly acquired ID card) with a flourish and say:  "Let me show you:  "K - E - L - E - T - S - O.  Keletso."  Sometimes I do this three or four times an hour - at parties, or the orientation events I had been attending religiously two weeks ago.  I'm sure the few friends who have watched me perform my introduction think its cute... or annoying.  meh.

I'm surprised at how attached I am too my name (in its original pronunciation), a few international students in my class adopt English (or rather American) nick-names and get by. My Sotho mother (Patricia) and Tswana/Pedi father (Johannes)  wouldn't have any of that.  They named me Keletso which (approximately) means "Desire"  but in a completely non-sexual and non-creepy way.

Anyways, saying and insisting on Keletso often leads to "Where are you from?" which then leads to "How was the world cup?" which then leads to "Why do you find it difficult to remember which match you attended, and why don't you know who won?".  My name is thus a conversation starter.  Since there is no one around me who I have know for more than 3 weeks, I use all the conversation starters I get. So whereas usually my eyes would glaze over if someone asked me what my name means, at school I tell them "It means desire, but not in a sleazy way".  At the gay bar I tell them "Desired" (full stop). I believe in the power of suggestion.

My friend Maria once called me "ethnic dessert".  Sometimes it bothers me when people mispronounce "Keletso" as"Calypso", but I think I wouldn't mind if people pronounced my name: "ethnic dessert".

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting day to start your blog! take video clips and post em too!

    And I am the first to comment woop woop!

    TK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keletso!

    It seems like you are having a fun time in the USA! It must be so cool. I see they also have gay bars over there... hahaha.

    Hope you enjoy the rest of the adventure!

    Adriaan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm adopting the name Calypso its is surprisingly fitting...

    It is thought that the name "calypso" was originally "kaiso," which is now believed to come from [the]Efik [language] "ka isu" 'go on!' and Ibibio [language] "kaa iso" 'continue, go on,' used in urging someone on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hao, so where do you want me to go kante?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keletso my friend you are good at this! BTW I have settled with L-u-andow. I love how you augment the meaning depending on where you are and how it will benefit you. :)

    ReplyDelete